Search This Blog

Tuesday, 28 July 2026

(Monster Match #1) Swipe Right for Monsters by R. O'Leary

 

Swipe Right for Monsters (Monster Match #1)Swipe Right for Monsters by R. O'Leary
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

⭐⭐ 2 Stars
🌶️🌶️🌶️ 3 Spice (shrugs)

Book 1 of the Monster Match series. This is the first time I have heard of this author or picked up one of her books.

OK, so the book opened up fast, funny, and super easy to get into, but dear lords, she is the most whiny, self-centred, and unlikeable female I think I've read about. It was hard to push through and swallow some of her thoughts and the way she acted, and it made me sort of think she should live alone and only have a cat at this point. The poor MMCs were fighting to hold this book up on their backs alone, and she was dragging it down at breakneck speed.

This is a why choose monster romance, so there are many MMCs in this book, and while they are all different, I think the book was far too short to really flesh them out and make them pop and stand out on the page. I also felt like nothing about this felt like romance from her POV, and more like using people and getting what she wanted, so it did not give me light and cozy vibes.

The males were more of the highlight than anything else, but the ending felt rushed and really lacklustre overall. I felt like, one, the book needed more pages, or two, fewer MMCs to really give us a good story with spice. I was excited by the glimpses of the storyline, but the ending just zoomed over it like it was nothing, and it felt totally flat.

I think the spice was OK, but due to the unfeeling nature of it all, I got fewer butterflies and more of a yawn sort of vibe. I find that if the tension and some sort of emotional connection are not there, then I rarely like the spice, even if it's fleshed out and full of heat.

I LOVE why choose romance, but I do think if your book is on the shorter side, you are going to struggle to do a why choose well. Making multiple characters stand out, giving them personalities, and then also telling a good story takes time, and I think this book showcased what can happen when you are not given enough pages to really take your time.

The whole book for me was fast and just OK, but I felt like if it had been given more time, and the FMC had been given a kick up the butt, I would have liked it more. The book was not horrible, it was just... not a standout for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment