Once Upon a Demon's Heart by K.M. MoronovaMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
⭐⭐ 2 Stars
🌶️🌶️🌶️ 3 Spice
Disclaimer to my friends who really liked this: I am so, so, so sorry. I tried so, so hard, I swear lol. Please keep in mind we all have different likes and dislikes, and this one was a little hard for me.
I'm going to start off by saying the book itself is really small, so it should not have taken long to read. The writing is really easy to read, the words all but slip off the page, and the story is so easy to follow that you will not need to really overthink it. That being said, there are a few actiony moments where the smooth, easy writing seems to have a few confusing humps where it could be unclear or confusing, like something needed changing or adding. Still, it was a super easy, quick read...
The level of easy is one of my problems. One of the big twists at the end, I called it within the start of the book. Like, I could see the twist from 100 feet back, blindfolded and wearing earplugs. It was that easy to spot.
The book is classed as enemies to lovers, but honestly, it felt hard to really call this one that. I felt like it was lust-forward. Some behaviours felt more childish or just mean for the sake of being mean, with no real weight to them. This is in no way a slow burn if you're hoping for that either. The lust and spice burned that right out of the water.
While the spice is not bad, it's just not really well placed and felt more like a crutch to keep the book afloat. More travel than story going on. I did not hate the book, but the problems sort of made it a mid read rather than a good read.
The FMC, Alira, is portrayed as all but a strong fighter and powerful, but after the start she felt super watered down, which left a bitter taste in my mouth, honestly.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment