Bride of the Shadow King by Sylvia MercedesMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4 Stars
🌶️ 1 Spice
I was not sure what I was getting myself into when I started this book, but I found it pretty easy to get into. I felt no real holdback, apart from finding the wording at first a little jarring, but that might be because before starting this I had read a large series where the writing was very different from this.
Now, to get down to it. This book opened, and within seconds it clearly portrayed the life and care our FMC, Faraine, got. I totally felt for her. How she was looked at and treated made me mad, but it felt well placed and not just thrown in and not backed up by the behaviours of those around her. (I hate her father and a few others in her direct life.) She really does the whole blend in and don't make waves as best she can, and it irked me that she was all but living like a shadow.
I liked the way the author detailed the workings of what was going on and the clear ways of explaining the world and reasoning for things without throwing out so many facts at once that I might get bored.
I found the storyline interesting. I felt like the story had weight, but I felt at times the lust-forward vibe did push me into the Ugh! department. While I sort of wish it had been drawn out more, I get that the book moved fast, and without that pull between our leads, it would have left a weird, loose connection and made the story a little weird.
I am EPICLY confused about an event that happened that led our FMC into the drama. I would have liked more information... If I had been the lead, I would have been hunting for answers and not just following the commands of my father, but I guess it fits with her personality.
It was a fast, fun read with touches of darker plots and more amusing moments. Was it perfect? No. But was it horrible? Also no. I enjoyed it and finished the whole thing in only a few hours.
There were moments I was losing my mind, screaming, wanting Faraine to speak up, to reach out, to just do something, but it's only the first book, so I hope we see some growth.
Sadly, by the end I really felt for our MMC, Vor, and the ending itself left you needing to know what happened next. Overall, a solid book.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment