Sunday 12 November 2023

Blood & Flame Saga #1 Dragon's Kiss E.A. Winters review 4 stars

 

Blood & Flame Saga #1 Dragon's Kiss E.A. Winters 

Description: Every month, the great black dragon comes.

Every month, a child is snatched.

That's all the village of Kalma knows.

But Semra was one of those children, and she knows the truth: there is a dragonlord in the mountain, raising the children into his own personal syndicate of assassins.

When seventeen-year-old Semra learns they aren’t fighting evil but are in fact evil themselves, she risks everything to expose the dragonlord. As one young, nobody assassin against the king's security and an army of her former colleagues bent on her destruction, Semra must uncover the truth and save the royal family before the dragonlord rips them apart and plunges the kingdom into war.


Review

 Where do I start with this... 'Dragon's Kiss' is book one of the Blood & Flame Saga by E.A. Winters. I stumbled across this book while trying to find something new to read after finishing the Fablehaven series and waiting for my new books to get here. I was a little worried at first due to the fact that it was free with Kindle Unlimited, but I am a massive sucker for dragons and assassins, and reading the book details, it had both, so I downloaded it.

The book was easy to read, the wording and descriptiveness of places good but not overdone to the point where the reader has spent a whole page describing a rock. No, the writing style here was clear and easy, which made reading the book easy. As someone that loves to read at a fast pace, I was not finding myself lost in the mass of overcomplicated wording or looking stuff up to find out what something was. I found the writing here very smooth, which made my submersion into the book easy.

The storyline of the book was interesting and exciting. From the first page, it throws you into the world headfirst, like I was being waterboarded in a dungeon. I dislike books that are slow, and nothing happens until the 8th chapter. By that point, I am normally bored and uninvested, but there was no problem with this book. It started in the action and carried on throughout with moments of respite that gave you a second to breathe before you are hit with the next full force of action.

The lead female, Semra, is very likable. I love my main characters to have a lot of heart and a great story to tell. The banter between Semra and some of the others is amazing and had me smiling throughout. Now, let's move on to my downsides...

I felt that Zezura did not get as much use as I would have liked. I felt a little disconnected to her and underwhelmed by her usage sometimes, which is as I felt like more could have been done with her. The last thing has to be the description. I found myself almost forgetting what people looked like or wondering if they had been described and having to go back and check. Apart from that, I was totally impressed and blown away by the quality and fantastic story. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

Well-earned 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews