Search This Blog

Thursday, 6 August 2026

(Sorrowsong University, #2) Daybreak by Autumn Woods review

 

Daybreak (Sorrowsong University, #2)Daybreak by Autumn Woods
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

⭐⭐⭐½ 3.5 Stars
🌶️🌶️½ 1.5 Spice

I pretty much skipped to book two the moment I finished the first book, and lords above, the emotion levels in this book are just top tier. There is so much pain and grief, having to deal with loss, and nonstop real-life pressure on top of trying to be an adult while dealing with things that were never your job in the first place.

I really loved the family and friendships. They were outstanding and at times really made me cry. Reading about people trying to keep their heads above water and just get through one breath to the next was so well done.

The story was clean and clear, but I had some problems with book two that I did not have with the first book. For one, the first book had a lot more action, mystery, and just more happening, while this book seemed to lean on the back and forth between Ophelia and Alex, more from her side than his, and it got real old fast.

I felt like rather than progressing the story and focusing on the new problems, we were stuck in the same issues that were in book one, and that felt sort of cheap. It was like rather than moving forward, we just threw in another stalker, and that rubbed me up the wrong way more than once.

Our lead had no real growth since the first book, which was also sad because I do not count just jamming that growth right at the end. It made the ending feel rushed.

I felt like the book was good, but also full of a lot of nothing when it could have been packed with more action and more real-life substance instead of relying on the leads' relationship and back and forth as a crutch.

Please do not get me wrong. It was not a horrible book, but it was not at the same level as book one with what was going on. The story was there, but recycling the same problem from book one lowered its impact, and not having enough action hurt it as well.

The romance, the hurt, the longing, and the yearning could fill the sea, but the spice again needed to match it, and for me, it just did not.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment