Our Monstrous Hearts by Delilah ThorneMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
⭐⭐⭐ / ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 3 or 4 Stars, I'm stumped!
🌶️🌶️🌶️ 3 Spice
⚠️ Please check the trigger warnings!!
If you're looking for cute, cozy monster smut with a super sexy monster lead.... leave now!... No, turn and run, like full speed, because this, my friend, is not for you.
If you're after horrifying, monstrous, and horrible, stomach-turning acts and descriptions, then stay. This book is.... well, not for the faint of heart or the sane, I think (I know it says a lot about me lol). I was not really sure when I started what I was going to get, which was my first mistake, bypassing the page and a half of trigger warnings because BOY did I need to read them.
The book opens right up into just gag-worthy information about what is going on, and I was, well, surprised to say the least. But that then moved into getting an idea of our main female lead, Cassandra, and the horror of what her life is, and I was like, well, I started the book now, might as well sit comfy on the ride.
The book, for starters, is short, so it moves at a quick pace. Do I like that? No, but I understand it due to the limited number of pages, and it was clear the author worked hard to try and make it feel much longer than it was.
The story is DARK. Not like, oooh, look, it's a shadow. NO, I mean I fell into a void of dark and could not find the light switch. There was never a moment where I was like, "Oh, look, so sweet," that didn't have to stop as I realised that due to the dark nature of the book, even a little tenderness or less horror was still dark. But due to the content and story of the book, it made those pockets seem so much brighter, but clearly it was a ploy and a good one.
Also, do not get me started on the spice in this book.... It's there alright.... just hanging around with the gore and darkness lol.
There was a storyline, but I think the shock factor made it really hard to see much else but that at times. But I was not moaning, well.... maybe gagging, but hey, I was reading at lightning speed, so I can't say it was BAD due to the fact I stayed glued to it the moment I picked it up.
I will say, due to it being a short book, it makes the characters feel less fleshed out and flat. Some of the wording at times felt choppy, like picking words out of a dictionary and throwing them in, but otherwise the book was easy reading. There were 2 times I felt confused by a transition within the pages too.
I can honestly say this book was not really built to make you like anyone. It felt like... I do wonder what it would have become if it was 400 or 500 pages and not 140. I do feel that for such a short book, there was a lot in it.
In truth, I don't even know what to rate this at all.
I'm a little stumped.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment